The Jagan mohan palace was built as the construction of the main palace was not yet complete after the old palace burnt down.
After independence the government took over the maintenance of the palace. The palace is used as a art gallery and auditorium. Photography is strictly prohibited within the art gallery, but it has paintings from diferent periods from the history of mysore.
It is being preserved as a heritage building.It was built in 1861 by Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar, the building is predominantly Hindu style. The building is maintained by the Mysore City Corporation (MCC) in its "Maintain cleanliness, preserve Heritage" initiative.
The huge pavilion at the front (seen in the photograph)has been used for holding meetings of the representative assembly and convocations of university of Mysore. The installation of Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV took place in this pavilion in 1902, attended by Lord Curzon, the then Viceroy and governor general of India. The Royal family lived in this palace till the construction of the new Amba Vilas mysore palace in 1912.